Friday, August 2, 2019

Order of Service, August 4, 2019

MUSIC AS MINISTRY 

Prelude: Thankful (D. Foster, R. Page & C. Sager)

Welcome

Lighting the Chalice Flame
Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving.
Ours is no caravan of despair.
Come, yet again come.

Affirmation:
Love is the spirit of this Congregation and service is its law.  This is our great covenant: to dwell together in peace, to seek the truth in love and to help one another.

Introduction of Visitors

Reading: Why They Sing

Hymn: #108 How Can I Keep From Singing

Moment of Silence & Candle Lighting

Religious Education Class:  
Go now in peace, go now in peace; may the spirit of love surround you everywhere, everywhere you may go.

Offertory: Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door (B. Dylan)  

Sermon: Music as Ministry
•Introduction
People (J. Styne & B. Merrill)
Stand By Me (B. King, J. Leiber & M. Stoller)
Over the Rainbow (H. Arlen & Y. Harburg)
If I Had a Hammer (P. Seeger & L. Hays)
 If I had a hammer, I’d hammer in the morning,
 I’d hammer in the evening, all over this land.
 I’d hammer out danger, I’d hammer a warning,
 I’d hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters,
 All over this land.

 If I had a bell, I’d ring it in the morning…

 If I had a song, I’d sing it in the morning…

 Well, I have a hammer, and I have a bell,
 And I have a song to sing all over this land.
 It’s the hammer of justice, it’s the bell of freedom,
 It’s the song about love between my brothers and my sisters,
 All over this land.
I Am Woman (H. Reddy & R. Burton)

Closing Words

Extinguishing the Chalice Flame:
We extinguish this flame, but not the light of truth, the warmth of community, or the fire of commitment.  These we carry in our hearts until we are together again.

Postlude: Joy to the World (H. Axton)

***Because of the number of musical selections included in today’s service, we ask that you please hold all applause/appreciation until the conclusion of the postlude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sample Script for Online Service

Sample script for Sunday service online The following is a suggested script for your use online. It is not set in stone. You may use all ...