Friday, October 19, 2018

Order of Service, October 21, 2018

Prelude: I Still Haven’t Found What I'm Looking For (U2)

Welcome   

* Lighting the Chalice Flame: Hymn #188 Come, Come, Whoever You Are  

*Affirmation: (in unison) Love is the spirit of this Congregation and service is its law. This is our great covenant to dwell together in peace, to seek the truth in love and to help one another. 

Introduction of Visitors

*Hymn: May The Love We Share (Rainbow Family of the Living Light)
May the love we're sharing
Spread its wings and fly
Across the earth, and bring new joy
To every soul who is alive
May the blessings of your grace
My love shine on everyone
And may we all see the light
Within, within, within

Social Justice Minute 

Moment of Silence & Candle Lighting 

Religious Education Class: Children Pre-K through 4th Grade are invited! (in unison) Go now in peace, go now in peace; may the spirit of love surround you everywhere, everywhere you may go. 

Offertory: Over the Rainbow (L. Hartley)

Sermon: Change  Susan (Tiedemann) Bickel 

*Hymn: Stand By Me (B.E. King)
When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we see
No I won't be afraid
No I won't be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
And darling, darling stand by me
Oh, now, now, stand by me
Stand by me, stand by me
If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
And the mountain should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry
No I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
And darling, darling stand by me
Oh, stand by me
Stand by me, stand by me, stand by me
Whenever you're in trouble won't you stand by me
Oh, now, now, stand by me
Oh, stand by me, stand by me, stand by me
Darling, darling stand by me
Stand by me
Oh stand by me, stand by me, stand by me

Extinguishing the Chalice Flame: (in unison) We extinguish this flame, but not the light of truth, the warmth of community, or the fire of commitment. These we carry in our hearts until we are together again.      

Postlude: I Can See Clearly Now (J. Cliff)
* Please rise in body or spirit.
Hearing devices are available. Just ask an usher!
We live stream each service on Facebook! 

Gratitude
Thank you to all make our Sundays special: 
Kim Hetrick: Office Administrator
Peilin Ko: Music Coordinator   
Willie Nelson: Sexton   
Megan Alioto: R.E. Assistant   
David Traupman: Cover Art  
Margaret Robsin: Fellowship Hour Hospitality
Thom Burke & Tom Barry: Ushers
Ramsay Laing: Flowers

Office Hours
Our office is open Monday – Friday 9:30–12:30 except for holidays.
Rev. Dan is usually in his office  Tuesday 3– 6pm and Thursday 9am-Noon. He is also available other times by appointment. He & Tess have covenanted with each other to make Friday a sacred day off for both of them, so he will not be available most Fridays unless there is an emergency.

Connect With Us
Call our office: 561-627-6105 
Email the office: admin@1stuupb.org  
Rev. Dan’s e-mail: RevDan@1stuupb.org. 
Call or text Rev. Dan: 561-628-6954 Visit our web page: 1stuupb.org 
Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/1stuupb

This Week @ 1stUUPB
Today: 11:30am Social Hour in Ministers Hall.  
Wednesday: 6:30pm Barbara Hatzfeld Appreciation Dinner at Raindancer Restaurant.
Thursday: 11am Gentle Yoga with Meditation in the Sanctuary. 
Friday: 6:30pm  Art Friday in Ministers Hall
Saturday: 5pm Oktoberfest/Halloween Dinner
Next Sunday: 9:15am News Talk in Ministers Hall.
10:30am Sunday Service: Celebration, Fellowship, Fun & Laughter

Did You Know??? The Oktoberfest Dinner is also a fundraiser? 
This coming Saturday, Oct 27 at 6pm is the Okoberfest/Halloween Dinner. The cost is $30 per adult. Reservations are required, so please contact Frank Smith.  For additional details, please see the UU Matters Newsletter.

Susan Bickel
Susan Tiedemann Bickel was born and raised in North Palm Beach and in the First Unitarian Universalist Church here. As the daughter of Hal and Eunice Tiedemann, and the step daughter of George McLafferty, Susan spent a large portion of her childhood actively involved when the church relocated from West Palm Beach to North Palm Beach 30 years ago, and she watched it grow in membership and support in the community.
The UU Principle of acceptance of one another has shaped much of Susan's life and her beliefs, as has the UU call to action in helping our fellow humans. Susan has put those tenets into action as a teacher, an environmentalist, a member of the boards of two national conservation organizations, and currently as President Pro Tem of the Village of North Palm Beach Council.
Susan earned her undergraduate degree from Georgetown University and a Master's in Education from the University of Pennsylvania. She has worked in government under Congressman Tom Lewis, in finance, and has been a teacher for 24 years. Currently she is Science Coordinator and Science Department Chair at The Benjamin School.
Susan is the mother of a 12-year-old daughter who was dedicated at 1stUUPB in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sample Script for Online Service

Sample script for Sunday service online The following is a suggested script for your use online. It is not set in stone. You may use all ...